Inspiration all the year round . . .
Our beautiful 30 acre estate, first established in the late 13th century, provides a colourful and scented oasis surrounding a Georgian Manor House and Victorian Stables. It offers a unique opportunity to see behind the scenes at Greater London’s only Specialist College for those interested in plants, animals and the environment.
Our gardens include . . .
- Japanese Garden (which seeks balance between the ‘in’ and ‘yo’ – the Japanese equivalent of the Chinese ‘yin’ and ‘yang’)
- The Queen Mother’s Garden
- Sunflower Street (Minimalist, Family, Rustic, Cottage, Victorian, Modern and Mediterranean Gardens designed by former students)
- National Gardening Centre (front and back domestic sized gardens to offer inspiration)
- Outdoor Classroom Garden
- Le Jardin De Vincent (inspired by Vincent van Gogh, a Chelsea Flower Show Silver Gilt Medal Winner in 2007) & the Recycled Garden
- Secured By Design (showing how beauty, nature and security can co-exist) & Family Friendly (aka the Upwardly Mobile Garden, a 2010 Chelsea Flower Show Gold Medal Winner)
- Growing Together In Faith Garden (looking at how the rose pervades Hinduism, Christianity, Islam and Judaism providing common ground and shared roots)
- Victorian Garden
- 17th Century Style Gardens & Well
- Koi Pond & Japanese Rock Garden (incorporating 175 tonnes of Macclesfield rock)
- Italianate Maze With Viewing Platform (designed and created by Adrian Fisher, the world’s most prolific maze designer)
- Woodland Walk
- The Walled Garden (producing fruit, vegetables and cut flowers for the Manor House and housing several plant collections)
- Scented Pelargonium House
- Display House (including a Cactus collection)
- Victorian Stables
- Amphitheatre (home to many of our open air theatre events)
- The Old Manor House Garden (phase 1 opened by Her Majesty the Queen in June 2010)
- No-Dig Vegetable Plot
- Which? Gardening Trial Gardens (looking for the best varieties for the amateur gardener)
Make the most of your visit . . .
- Free car parking
- Guided walks (by arrangement) with special rates (group visits only)
- A full and varied programme of events and activities
- FREE Guided Garden Walks from 2pm every Tuesday (April – September)
- Capel’s Diamond Club for the over 60s (ask at Reception)
- Terrace Restaurant serving hot and cold food
- Evening opening until 9pm on Tuesday 14th June, Wednesday 13th July, Thursday 14th September
- The Hessayon Visitor Centre with gift shop and plant sales area
- Dogs are allowed on a lead (Please follow these guidelines)
- Private functions including children’s birthday parties on request
- Explore the area and combine your visit with a trip to Enfield’s other beauties such as Forty Hall and Myddelton House and nearby Crews Hill packed with garden centres
Work in progress . . .
- New children’s play area
- The Recycled Garden
- Coming soon to Capel, the Australian Garden, 2011 Chelsea Flower Show Gold Medal Winner. In Association with the Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne
- Many makeovers throughout the gardens